Duty To Warn: Propane Safety
Propane Safety is extremely important to all of us at Imperial Propane. Propane gas manufacturers mix an additive into your fuel to help protect customers. It is extremely important all members of a household can recognize this smell, and know the important steps detailed below to ensure safety.
Simply, Propane smells like rotten eggs, or a dead animal. It is designed to get your attention.
Please read the below information so your family knows how to act in the rare event of a propane gas leak.
What To Do If you Smell Gas
1. Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
2. Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
3. If safe to do so, turn off your tank valve from the outside of your home. To close the valve to the RIGHT (clockwise).
4. From a neighbor’s home, a cell phone from across the street, or similar, call Imperial Propane and Plumbing Company. Do NOT use your phone in the immediate vicinity of the suspected gas leak. You may also call 911 or your local fire department, as they are trained for such events.
5. Wait. Do NOT return to the building until a qualified emergency response has performed a leak-check and gives you written consent it is safe to return to the building.
Read more about Imperial Propane here.
To learn more about Propane Gas in general, click here.